Peppermint Candy Plate

IMG_4990
This is a really fun peppermint candy plate that is made from round peppermint candies.   I saw the idea on The Chew recently and was immediately intrigued.  It’s a great idea for giving away cookies over the holidays as you don’t need to worry about getting your plate back.  Making these plates really couldn’t be much easier.

First, preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

Next, unwrap and arrange the candies in your desired layout (I used two 11oz bags.  The host said to use cheap candies, not the fancy ones that have stripes all the way to the middle).  Leave about 1/4 inch between the candies so they can spread as they melt.  I should have left a little more room for spreading than I did.

IMG_4985Next, bake them for 5-10 minutes, watching carefully after 5 minutes, until the candies begin to melt, spread out and touch each other.

Remove from the oven and after 30 seconds trim or shape the edges as desired.  If the candy gets too hard, just pop it back in the oven for a minute to re-soften it.

If desired, shapes may also be cut out of the peppermint sheet with cookie cutters and made into ornaments.  That will be next year’s fun project!

Related posts:

This entry was posted in Baking and Cooking, Candy, Miscellaneous and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Peppermint Candy Plate

1. Anna says:

Wow, that is so cool! I’m going to try it next year. Did it make all your other cookies taste minty?

2. Rebecca says:

Since I was using the plate for my family Christmas cookie plate, I put the cookies on only about 15 minutes before serving because I was a little worried about that. The plate doesn’t smell very strongly of peppermint so I think it would be ok for a while. The thing I was actually most worried about was having the brownies and moister cookies stick, which they did a bit. I think if I was giving cookies to someone on one of these plates that i might wrap it fully in plastic wrap or put a doily or parchment circle down first.

3. Megan says:

You can dust the tray with cornstarch to keep it from getting too sticky.

• Rebecca says:

It depends on the weather. Like most candy, it will get sticky in humid weather. It should keep for a few weeks at least, especially if you wrap it well in plastic wrap, but probably not until the next year.

4. brenda says:

Just wondering if you didn’t want them to be editable could you spray something on the plates to keep them forever. If so what do you suggest?

• Rebecca says:

I suppose if you didn’t want to eat it you could dunk it in shellac or something like that. You’d want to make sure that anyone you gave it to knew not to try to eat it in that case.