Sometimes you just need a little bite of dessert and shot glass parfaits are perfect for a special dessert that satisfies but doesn’t impact the waistline too much. They’re also a good way of using up the last bit of cream cheese, chocolate or jam that’s hanging around, which is how these Huckleberry White Chocolate Cheesecake Parfaits came to my dessert last night. I love it when I can use “found” ingredients to make a special treat!
These shot glass parfaits couldn’t be easier to make either. They can be thrown together just before dinner and by the time you’re ready for dessert, they are chilled enough to serve. I whip together a small amount of cream cheese, a tablespoon of cream and a little vanilla together to lighten the cream cheese. Normally I would add a little sugar, but since I had some sweet white chocolate on hand, I melted that with a little more cream and folded that into the cream cheese mixture. I then put alternating layers of the cheese mixture and jam into two shot glasses. I didn’t have enough cream left to whip for the top, but an extra dollop of the cheese mixture works just fine. I like to top these parfaits with something crunchy, often toasted nuts or chopped cookies. This time, I used some chocolate covered hazelnuts.
I am submitting these to the We Should Cocoa challenge this month, which is celebrating it’s 4th anniversary! Congratulations, Choclette! This is a fun challenge group that inspires us to make a chocolate treat each month using a specified ingredient or theme. This month the special ingredient is jam.
- 3 oz cream cheese, preferably at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp cream, divided
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- 2 oz chopped white chocolate
- ¼ - ½ cup jam or jelly
- whipped cream for topping (optional)
- candy, cookie, nuts for topping (optional)
- In a small bowl over a water bath or in low power in the microwave, melt the white chocolate with 1 Tbsp. of cream. Do this at low temperature and be patient as white chocolate will clump up if it gets too hot. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool a bit.
- In a small bowl, whip the cream cheese, vanilla and 1 Tbsp. of the cream until light. Stir in the white chocolate mixture.
- If your jam is pretty solid, you may want to put it in a small bowl with a teaspoon or two of water and heat it slightly so it's more fluid.
- Starting with the cheese, drop alternating layers of the cheese mixture and the jam into 2 shot glasses. If you have whipped cream for the top, save that for the top just before serving, otherwise finish with a layer of the cream cheese mixture.
- Chill for 30 minutes to set up slightly.
- Top with whipped cream, if using, and finish with a chocolate covered nut or other crunchy topping of your choice.