For this month’s We Should Cocoa challenge, I decided to try making some Nutella Energy Bites to fit in with Choclette’s theme of “no-bake” treats.
Energy bites are great for mornings that I can’t drag myself out of bed in time to have breakfast before leaving for my daily exercise class. I can just grab one or two as I leave the house. I most frequently make peanut butter ones, but I thought for this challenge that one held together with chocolate hazelnut spread would be fun to try. Like most energy bites, the base of this one is old fashioned rolled oats. For extra nutty flavor and texture, I mixed in almond meal, ground flax seeds and chia seeds. I also added some cinnamon for flavor. The whole mess is then pulsed in the food processor with some Nutella/Chocolate Hazelnut Spread and some almond milk until the mixture is moist enough to be rolled into balls.
I am very pleased with how they came out. They may be a little less healthy than the peanut butter variety, but the chocolate makes them a nice sweet treat that isn’t too bad for you.
- 1 C old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ C. almond meal
- 1 T. ground flax seed
- 1 T chia seeds
- pinch of Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 2-3 T almond or soy milk
- Combine all ingredients except the chocolate hazelnut spread and the milk in a food processor.
- Pulse a couple of times to combine.
- Add the Chocolate Hazelnut Spread and pulse several times until evenly mixed and the ingredients just start to come together.
- Add the almond or soy milk 1 T at a time, pulsing between each addition to combine. Stop when the mixture is moist enough to hold together easily when a spoonful is pressed together.
- Roll 1 T of the mixture at a time into balls, pressing firmly as you roll.
- Store the balls in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.