At the Museum – Impressionist Quilt panel
Years ago, some friends gave me a fabric panel from Exclusively Quilting that had 6 impressionist paintings on it. The panel sat around my sewing room for a long time because it was so pretty on its own I was afraid to cut it up. I finally gave it to my round robin quilting group and they did not disappoint (thank you Kim, Dorothy, Regina, Joyce, Pam and Peggy)!
I have belonged to my round robin group at the Amador Valley Quilt Guild for about 8 years now and they are always creative and push me to be creative too. We have no rules except those decided by the person who submits the project. Each person works on the project in random order and then the owner pulls it whenever they feel it is done. The group took each painting in my impressionist painters panel and cut it out of its original plain black background and framed each print in a way that related to the painting featured. When I got it back, there weren’t quite enough blocks to make a good sized quilt though. I searched online and found a companion panel on Ebay with a different set of paintings and used those to add 3 of my own blocks to create this 9×9 block, 53″x56″ wall quilt.
This was probably the hardest quilt I have ever machine quilted – I do not recommend black thread on black fabric! However, it was forgiving and didn’t show my stitching mistakes. I tried a completely machine-pieced binding for the first time with great success. The flanged binding piece is stitched to the back of the quilt, then wrapped around to the top and stitched in the ditch around the edges to fasten it down. I was done in less than a half hour and I really like how it looks on this quilt.