Author: BakeNQuilt.com adapted from WildYeast
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 C (6 oz) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick (4oz) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 C (3.5 oz) sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 C (.75 oz) cocoa powder
- 1/2 C (4 oz) mature 100% hydration sourdough starter (mine is whole wheat)
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Line a 8x8 baking dish with foil and spray or butter the foil.
- In the microwave, melt together the chocolate and the butter in a mixing bowl. Work in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, so as not to burn the chocolate.
- Whisk the sugar, salt and vanilla into the melted chocolate and butter.
- Add the egg and egg white and whisk to combine.
- Sift the cocoa powder over the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the starter and stir gently until it is completely incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then gently lift the brownies out of the pan by the foil liner and move onto a rack to cool.
- When completely cool, cut into squares.
Recipe by BakeNQuilt at http://www.bakenquilt.com/2012/12/sourdough-brownies/